Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What, How and Why


Even with the progress made in the past 30 or so years, there is still a gender gap in leadership positions. This gap, espically apparent in board member and chief officer positions, is what caused my intrest in female managment. I want to investigat how the gender gap has (or has not) affected the managment styles adopted by female leaders. I want to know what these women have done in order to become successful leaders dispute the statistics that work against them.

To answer these questions, I will be interviewing and interning under several women, each in different fields and with very different experiences. Also, I will be doing a lot of reading. Luckily, quite a bit of research has been done on gender and managment, so I have a lot of resources.

So far, I have completed 6 interviews. I am still in complete shock of of how willing to help these women have been and how impressive they each are. Soon, I will make a post for each interview.

The most profound thing I have learned at this point is simply how important it is to have good leaders in every job from teaching, to accounting, to telecommunications. Good leaders improve efficiency, productivity, and general happiness of employees. This has made me even more interested in discovering how women become good leaders.

Stay tuned! Next week, I will begin my internship with Linda Wojiowicz, she also was my first interviewee, so get ready for lots of upcoming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment